About the Fund:
The Transit Empowerment Fund, formerly Basic Transportation Needs Fund, was established in 2011 as a partnership between Capital Metro and One Voice Central Texas to enhance access to transportation. Since 2012, an independent Board has overseen the work of the Fund including the distribution of transit passes to nonprofit organizations and support of a demonstration project. The Board includes representatives from the nonprofit and business communities and Capital Metro.
Abbreviated Request for Transit Passes Applications (RFA) Option
The Transit Empowerment Fund (TEF), has initiated an abbreviated application process for organizations who have met certain standards:
- Received TEF passes for at least two years
- Submitted 100% of monthly reports by the deadline for the last 12 months
- Distributed at least 90% of passes for the most recently completed reporting year
- No reports of lost or stolen passes in the last 12 months
- No substantial change to program for which you are applying.
If you are receiving this, you have met these qualifications. Therefore, you can complete the abbreviated application if you are not making any substantive program changes or asking for more than a 10% increase from your current allocation.
If you are making program changes or making a request for an increase in passes in excess of 10% of your current allocation, then you will need to complete a new application.
About the 2020 Transit Pass Application
The Transit Empowerment Fund (TEF) Board will accept applications for the following:
- Purchase of deeply discounted Capital Metro Local Bus Passes, Commuter Passes, and MetroAccess Ten Ride Booklets (50% reduction from the reduced nonprofit rate = 75% discount from the full fare). The provision of deeply discounted passes (as opposed to no cost passes) will help ensure the sustainability of the Fund.
- No Cost Passes – a limited number of no cost passes will be available. A maximum of 30% of the overall request can be made for no cost passes (i.e. if requesting $1,000 in passes up to $300 in passes can be requested at no cost). However, for no cost passes to be awarded, a compelling case must be made as to the critical need for the passes and the reasons that the organization cannot purchase the passes at the deeply discounted rate.
NOTE: Applicants applying through the annual RFA process for the first time are not eligible for no cost passes. There must be a history of accurate and timely reporting for no cost passes to be considered.
Eligible Pass/Ticket Types: Applicants can request deeply discounted passes for Local Bus Service, Premium Service, Commuter Service, and 10-Ride MetroAccess Service. Within each category, applicants can apply for Reduced Fare passes; please note, however, that ALL RECIPIENTS OF REDUCED FARE PASSES MUST MEET ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA DETAILED AT http://www.capmetro.org/RFID AND HAVE A CAPITAL METRO REDUCED FARE ID CARD FROM CAPITAL METRO.
All recipients of METROACCESS passes must have a MetroAccess card: https://www.capmetro.org/metroaccess/
More information about Capital Metro fares can be found at: http://www.capmetro.org/fares/
Target Population: All passes must be used by individuals who are at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Level and are transit dependent.
Purpose: The primary purpose of the passes must be to access: Employment, Education, Healthcare, or Social Services.
Applicants must be either a 501©3 organization, a tax-exempt veteran organization, or a governmental entity.
RFA released: January 10, 2020
Optional Bidders conference: January 21st from 3:00-4:00 pm in the Meals on Wheels Central Texas Board Room. Click here to RSVP for the optional information session.
Deadline for applications: 5:00pm on February 7, 2020. All applications must be submitted online through this application form. The Board reserves the right to follow up with applicants with specific questions.
Decision announced no later than March 29th, 2019
Note that the Board will review all applications and may award all, partial, or none of an applicant’s request.
Pass Distribution: Passes will be distributed as soon as they have been printed. This is generally in July. Recipients will be required to attend an orientation when they pick up their passes.
Important Note About the Application
All applications must be submitted online through this application form. If you cannot complete it in one sitting, you can choose to save it and continue it later. A unique URL will be sent to you via email so that you can access it in the future. Additionally, if you prefer to view the RFA in PDF format to review before applying, you can do so by downloading the abbreviated application here.